Many civil cases can be solved through Mediation. Mediation is an accepted part of Texas civil litigation for judges, attorneys and parties to cases.
Mediation allows both parties and their attorneys to meet and come to an acceptable legal agreement and resolve their dispute. The settlement agreement is then submitted to the presiding Judge thus avoiding a costly trial. Advantages include:
- Parties settle their disputes with their attorneys and a neutral attorney (mediator).
- Faster and less expensive than a trial.
- Judges can move forward their crowded dockets.
An appeal is a legal proceeding by which a case is brought before a higher court for review of the decision of a lower court. An appeal is not a retrial or a new trial of the case. The appeals courts do not usually consider new witnesses or new evidence. Appeals in either civil or criminal cases are usually based on arguments that there were errors in the trial's procedure or errors in the judge's interpretation of the law.
Appellate attorneys ask a higher court to reverse the decision of a trial court after final judgment or other legal ruling. No new evidence is admitted on appeal, for it is strictly a legal argument.Read More
As a full service business transactions law firm, The Perkes Law Firm’s goal is to protect the most important elements of our client’s success: human capital, intellectual property, business transactions and financing.
- Business Acquisition and Sales (Buying or Selling a Business)
- Contracts and Contract Review
- Contract Disputes
- Real Estate Leases and Purchase Contracts
- Mechanic’s Liens
- Easements and Right of Way Cases
- Homeowner’s Association Disputes
- End of Year Legal Reviews for Business
As a former Justice for the 13th Court of Appeals for six years, Greg Perkes has heard and rendered legal opinion on hundreds of cases involving litigants from 20 counties in Texas including: Aransas, Bee, Calhoun, Cameron, De Witt, Goliad, Gonzales, Hidalgo, Jackson, Kenedy, Kleberg, Lavaca, Live Oak, Matagorda, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Victoria, Wharton, and Willacy.
Perkes’ certification in Mediation, and 20 plus years of appellate and trial experience, along with his judicial service, gives him a unique perspective and advantage in appellate cases, dispute resolution and business law.His extensive legal and business contacts throughout the Coastal Bend, including Corpus Christi, Victoria and the Rio Grande Valley, allows him the ability to successfully resolve cases throughout a wide section of South Texas.
Highlights of Experience
- Certified mediator in Texas
- 6 years as state appellate jurist on 13th Court of Appeals
- Substantial legal knowledge, authoring some 1,000 legal opinions on all matters of law
- 20+ year attorney with subject matter expertise in negotiating business deals and litigating cases
- Board certified appellate attorney
- Contacts throughout South Texas